Picking a commercial label to market a product is a unique art based on several concepts. The art behind labeling involves making the right choices for a beautiful appearance as well as all the necessary informational elements. Labeling offers critical information to the consumer, may contain the tracking bar code, and helps your merchandise stand out amidst similar competitors. The following factors equally determine success:
- Packaging Materials
- Label Adhesives
- Colors, Designs, & Finishes
- Storage Environment
- Shipping & Handling Conditions
Considering the amount of time spent to develop a product, it is just as vital to put forth the same dedication to this retailing aspect. Packaging and labels are the first thing any customer will see when viewing the item online or in a physical store. The label needs to be eye-catching, informative, and portray the idea of your product. Here are a few tips to ensure your commercial label does its job:
- Packaging, Materials, & Durability. If the adhesive and materials do not work for the packaging, then the label will not stick or become difficult to read. Should a permanent adhesive be used or would a removable label work better? Not every permanent adhesive has the same durability and it is essential to ensure the chosen one will work under the exposed conditions. Additionally, certain products require vital information to reside on the label, which should remain there for the duration of use to prevent a direct violation of federal law. This is an important consideration regardless of the product type.
- Environmental Conditions. Products exposed to outside weather conditions, extensive handling, cold environments, or prolonged heat must be able to maintain their labeling. A good example of this is drink products that are exposed to both room temperatures and cold. In some instances, the label may also be exposed to liquids or chemicals. The materials, adhesives, and finishes have to be durable enough to withstand these conditions.
- Amount of Content. The information placed on a commercial label must be legible, easy to understand, and remain intact. Overall design including where this content is placed will play a pivotal role. One option is to use a fold out label as on medicines if a large amount of content is necessary. Another is to use more than one label to convey the details.
- Overall Visual Appearance. Colors, graphics, and finishes contribute to the overall appearance of a product. Graphics determine if the item gets noticed over the competition. Finishes contribute to this factor as well as protect the label when exposed to certain conditions. Some papers are treated to provide a glossy or smoothed finish while others may be colored, metallic, or transparent. Each of these visual qualities determines the overall consumer appeal of any product.
Flexo-Graphics offers several printing method, material, design, and distribution choices. Whether you already have a design that needs to come to life or need a little help in achieving the perfect commercial label, our staff can provide the right information for making these important decisions. With the right design, a product will easily stand out amidst the competition and be the success you have envisioned.