The nutraceutical market has exploded in the last decade as consumers turn to alternative options over traditional healthcare. For some individuals, it is the high cost of insurance and for others the driving force is the belief that supplements are the best choice. The consistent buzz around food sources regarding GMO’s and additional types of harmful ingredients has created a belief that the foods themselves simply do not provide the nutrients they once did.
Consumers choose this option to improve their health or remedy a specific ailment. To better understand this market, it is important to look at the whys before tackling who is buying them. A large percentage of adults take nutraceuticals for health benefits. The most common reasons are the following:
- A Fit Approach to Aging
- Improved Heart Health
- Increased Bone Protection
- Immune System Benefits
- Mending Nutrition Gaps
- Increased Energy
These goals surface from a range of ages and needs including those suffering from the effects of aging. Certain nutraceuticals are considered to help with reversing certain conditions. While not all are proven in medicine, some have high regard across several age groups. Regardless of the driving force behind this choice, a few select groups are consistently choosing nutraceuticals over traditional options.
Understanding Target Markets for Nutraceuticals
Todays society has a larger fixation on healthy habits including eating better foods, consistent exercise, and bridging nutritional gaps. As more foods become genetically modified, one big concern is the ability to get the nutrients one needs. Nutraceuticals are chosen by all age groups to gain certain vitamins like B, D, and E. Alternatively, baby boomers starting at age 50 choose these products to gain better control over the aging process. Here are four primary groups buying nutraceuticals today:
- Plant-Based & Vegan – Individuals who follow either of these diets require supplements to ensure optimal health. A primary nutraceutical in this target market is B vitamins. However, there are many needs to fill here including food-based nutraceuticals.
- Baby Boomers & Aging Adults – Individuals in this age range are still healthy for the most part, but become worried about osteoporosis, arthritis, heart disease, and other conditions. These individuals buy nutraceuticals to reduce the effects of aging and remain healthy.
- Self-Care Options – Numerous consumers are relying on nutraceuticals over doctors these days. The Internet provides an abundance of information including details about what dietary needs must be filled to alleviate problems from migraines to chronic illness.
- Fitness Community – For some consumers, the overall goal is to reach their peak fitness. These individuals seek options to boost overall health or wellness and make another large part of the market.
Knowing who is buying makes it easier to determine what products and marketing measures will be successful. The above listed reasons have remained consistent and nutraceuticals are used to fulfill several needs. By knowing who’s buying, you will be able to better ensure product and brand success!
At Flexo-Graphics, we have spent years perfecting the process of labeling design for nutraceutical products. We would love to discuss how our services can help your products gain presence in this continuously growing industry.